N.C. Division of Vocational Rehabilitation Services - Independent Living Services
Independent Living assists eligible individuals with significant disabilities in obtaining services that:
- Provide an alternative to institutionalization, when possible.
- Improve functioning in the family, home and community.
- Assist in preparing a person for a vocational rehabilitation program.
Services may be provided directly, purchased, or coordinated through other community agencies. If Independent Living is unable to meet a person’s needs, that individual may be referred to other agencies for services as appropriate.
An individual may be eligible for Independent Living Services if all of the following apply:
- The person has a significant disability
- The disability severely limits the person’s ability to live independently, and
- Receipt of services will significantly improve the person’s ability to live independently
Some services have financial eligibility criteria.